When you read the tiny print on the makeup label, you will find many things that you can’t spell easily. This is a good indication that your make up products are filled with so many chemicals, which can be potentially toxic. Non-organic make up products are essential chemical cocktails that can potentially endanger your health. Here are some of the chemicals that are commonly found in your make up products:
- Alcohol: Alcohol is used in many cosmetic products as solvent. Continuous exposure to synthetically-made alcohol can cause dizziness, headaches, mental disruption and vomiting.
- Butylated hydroxyanisolea (BHA): BHA is a common preservative used for lipstick. Unfortunately, BHA is a carcinogen, which can cause cancer and adverse skin reactions.
- Di Ethanolamines… (DEA), Tri Ethanolamines… (TEA), Amono Ethanolamines… (MEA): This chemical family is used in face powders, eyeliner, concealers and foundations as preservatives, pH adjuster and emulsifier. It’s also a carcinogen that increases the risk of kidney and liver cancer.
- Ethoxylated Compounds: These chemicals are used as emulsifier in skin conditioner and other cosmetics. These compounds are often present along with ethylene oxide, which is a carcinogen for breast cancer.
- FD & C Color Pigments: These pigments are used in cosmetics as synthetic dyes. They are derived from coal tar and can be absorbed by our body quite easily. It will remain in fatty tissues and body organs. They may cause skin cancer, mood swings, fatigue, headaches, nausea and skin irritation. D&C Red 22 and D&C Red 36 are particularly dangerous and often associated with damages to nervous system.
- Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is a common type of preservative, which prevent the growth of bacteria. There are many preservatives in cosmetics that release formaldehyde, such as DMDM Hydantoin and Urea. Formaldehyde could irritate the respiratory system, causing asthma and other problems. It is also linked to cancer and various reproductive problems.
- Fragrance: Artificial scenting agents are commonly used in cosmetics. It’s quite rare to find cosmetics that use organic fragrance. There are thousands of different fragrances used in cosmetics, they could cause different health issues, such as dizziness, skin rashes and headaches.
- Heavy metals: Chromium, mercury and arsenic can be found in trace amount in some cosmetics, like mascara, eyeliner, lip gloss, lipstick, nail color and foundation. Heavy metals accumulate in our body and it’s difficult to remove them with waste. If heavy metal reaches a dangerous level in our body, it may cause immune and reproductive problems, as well as cancer.
- Lead: The use of lead in cosmetics has been banned in the 70’s. It is a neurotoxin that causes hypertension, anemia and brain damage. High level of lead in our body will affect all organs in our body negatively.
- Parabens: Parabens include butyl, propyl and methyl. These synthetic chemicals are typically used as antimicrobial preservatives. They are found in thousands of cosmetic products. Parabens are known as endocrine disrupter that interferes with the inner working of our endocrine system. Parabens are easily stored inside our fatty tissues. High level of parabens could cause reproductive disorders and decline of the immune system.